-
April 10th, 2003, 02:01 AM
#11
Inactive Member
Yep, Clover's by Clamp...
Vampire Princess Miyu is *extremely* worth the investigation, because it's both atmospheric and gorgeous. My one gripe with the manga is that it's *so* ethereally done that it's often hard to tell one character from another. But the OVAs don't have that problem, and neither do the TV episodes; the OVAs are better at mood-capturing, but the TV series lets you get to know more about the characters (which in itself automatically destroys some of the feel of supernatural mystery; it's an inevitable tradeoff).
And then there's Larva. He's wayyyy up there on my scale of "most bishounen character ever to grace celluloid." Drooooool... ^__~
-
April 10th, 2003, 02:22 AM
#12
Inactive Member
no one's never too old to read mangas, just like people are never too old to watch cartoons. I went to AX2002 and I saw old people go to the convention. XD
-
April 10th, 2003, 03:06 AM
#13
Inactive Member
I'm going to be 30 in about 4 months.
And Japanese manga are different than American and European comic books.
Both Americans and Europeans have the idea that comics and animation are only meant for kids. But the Japanese have a history of illustrated story-art that goes back for centuries and was definitely NOT for kids -- the thought wouldn't have occurred to them.
Some manga are for kids, the way some books are for kids. But in Japan, manga are an equivalent to novels -- they're simply presented in a visual style rather than a purely written style.
There are manga which are for adults without being "adult material" -- the equivalent of John Grisham or Stephen King writing a book and having it illustrated.
It's another medium entirely -- and there aren't age prejudices associated with it. There are books for kids and books for adults; similarly, there are manga for kids and manga for adults. Most of what gets picked up in foreign countries are for kids because of the American and European age-prejudice attached to comics -- but that age-prejudice did not exist in the original. One of the longest-running manga series has been going for about 30 years now, and it's a soap opera aimed at middle-aged housewives. It's just drawn rather than filmed for television.
My $.02... ^^;;;
(@#$%# stupid splint. On the other hand, it's spared y'all an even longer ramble/rant, so you might be lucky... ^^;; [img]wink.gif[/img]
-
April 10th, 2003, 03:01 PM
#14
Inactive Member
I'm 20 now and most of my friends who are into anime and manga are older than I am. No one's ever told me I'm too old for it-- but then again, most of the people who know of my habit also know what "yaoi" is...I've even got my mom to read some of my manga and watch anime with me, and she loves it! I honestly think that you can never be too old for it.
<font color="#660033" size="1">[ April 10, 2003 12:02 AM: Message edited by: Majinkarp ]</font>
-
April 11th, 2003, 03:33 AM
#15
Inactive Member
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><table border="0" width="90%" bgcolor="#333333" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="0"><tr><td width="100%"><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" bgcolor="#FF9900"><tr><td width="100%" bgcolor="#ffffff"><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Yaoi Manga Girl:
Well I am not older then 20 but I even get a lot of stuff like that. See since I live in Canada Anime and Manga reading are for little kids and if you are over the age of 10 it is like a sin. But then again by the time it gets to Canada it is edited completly. I mean we will never get anything like Yaoi cause I mean even if we did they would probly make one of them a girl
Like I am not even joking...which is sad..very sad to know that they would do that :cry: Well that was a little of topic but I do get that a lot and I usually just say what is wrong with it?? And they usually just shut up by that point
</font></td></tr></table></td></tr></table></BLOCKQUOTE>
Um . . . I don't think your problem is that you
live in Canada; I think your problem is that you
live in a small town. Any anime or manga available
in the States is available in Canada at exactly the
same level of editing (which is to say usually
none). The reason we don't see much yaoi or
shounen-ai is that the American companies don't
want to take the risk of putting it out, but I
bought the Fake OAV DVD from the local comic shop
last year, am currently buying Yami no Matsuei
DVDs as they come out, and expect Gravitation to
show up there on schedule (both the anime and the
manga). I could probably get Kizuna and Level C
there too, if I could muster the courage to make
a special order.
(And to address the real topic of the thread, I'm
closer to 30 years old than to 20, Canadian, and
I generally don't have trouble with people trying
to tell me that anime is kids' stuff. On the rare
occasion that someone does imply such a thing in
my hearing, I just stick out my tongue and tell
them that it's never too late to have a happy
childhood, nyeh. Converting people isn't worth the
effort, although I'd bet that making them watch my
Ai no Kusabi fansub tape would do it without much
trouble.)
The Crystal Gryphon (and so ends my first post. Whee!)
-
April 11th, 2003, 04:18 AM
#16
Inactive Member
Fake: Pure gold
Gravitation: Pure gold (and now Crisis murders me [img]tongue.gif[/img] )
Anyway yeah, I'm from the US but just haven't run accross a lot of really good serious manga. Serious meaning shows like X (discontinued in america), old hom no haibane-tachi, etc.
-Reikou
-
April 11th, 2003, 06:04 AM
#17
HB Forum Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><table border="0" width="90%" bgcolor="#333333" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="0"><tr><td width="100%"><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" bgcolor="#FF9900"><tr><td width="100%" bgcolor="#ffffff"><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Reikou Hitakana:
Fake: Pure gold
Gravitation: Pure gold (and now Crisis murders me [img]tongue.gif[/img] )
</font></td></tr></table></td></tr></table></BLOCKQUOTE>
*starts sharpening her knife*
^___^** No, seriously. I suppose it is cute and sometimes funny, though I just really couldn't stand the kid with pink hair and there were times when his hyperactive jokes got a little old. ^^
I definitely like Fake though. ^^ Actually, you know, there are an equal number of yaoi anime here in Hong Kong as there are in the west. It's just that there haven't been too many well known yaoi produced in Japan...
In Hong Kong, we get all the ones that the U.S. gets. Yami (well, I don't really consider this yaoi, but...), Fake, Gravitation, Ai no Kusabi, Level C, some weird one about two brothers, ermm...and I can't remember but there's a bit more.) We definitely get more yaoi manga though. A lot of them are the PWP one shots that you see on our site (*cough* Love Master). ^^** And then there are the ones with more storyline like Fake, G-Defend, etc.
Sooo in conclusion, the west has a pretty good collection of yaoi anime. Not so much for manga though. ;__;
-
April 11th, 2003, 06:55 PM
#18
Inactive Member
@ The Crystal Gryphon
Ya you are probably right ^^ It is probably cause I live in a weee small town. I mean we do have a comic store but if I where to ask for somehting like Fake or Gravitation or any yaoi/shounen-ai the guy would probably look at me weird >_< He would probably think I was on drugs [img]tongue.gif[/img] But that is the attitude are town has....anything out of the ordinary isn't good. Blah I hate my town....
<font color="#660033" size="1">[ April 11, 2003 04:00 PM: Message edited by: Yaoi Manga Girl ]</font>
-
April 11th, 2003, 08:32 PM
#19
Inactive Member
Well, there?s no chance to buy Yaoi/Shonen-ai Animes in Germany in any store. But that?s doesn?t stop me. [img]wink.gif[/img]
If you know how.....you could buy them as well. [img]wink.gif[/img]
I?ll get my beloved Animes.
However...we have many Animes like X-TV-Series or Weisskreuz with hints of Shonen-ai in it.
Animes are great^^
I guess i?ll never be to old to watch them. [img]wink.gif[/img]
Fake is nice but i prefere Gravitation. I?ve seen it a hundret times and it?s stil funny.
I feel so sorry, that there is no other Series like this. [img]graemlins/cry.gif[/img]
-
April 11th, 2003, 11:38 PM
#20
Inactive Member
uhm, I'm seriously beginning to think that we can see yaoi in -everything- by now ~___~
yeah, Tsuki, I can get yaoi mangas. but I haven't seen all the manga stores yet. For the ones I know, there is mostly gravitations, Zetsuai and Bronze. I like the gravitation manga but zetsuai and bronze I hate. I don't like the story nor the graphic nor the caracters.. so I can't have much mangas v____v
I'm way under 20 but I'm still accused of being a kid to read mangas. =___=* and draw them.
Now, I realy like Fake because even if the art isn't ther prettiest I've ever sen, the story is good and -fast- There is actions. Not like in those shoujo manga that in two volumes nothing happened yet apart all the shiny eyes and Sparkles of Death. x____x
I liked clover, and there is much yaoi-hint (like in all CLAMP) ^_____^
that remind me of a girl that was reading Wish, so I read it by her shoulder (yeah, I'm realy rude o_- ) and then I saw they were calling the angel "she" T______T it hads -no- definite gender, don't try to make up one! grr.
Sinon, when bying strange-looking manga at stores, they always looks at you warily. Why is it in the store for if not for people to buy it??
realy.. that's why I appreciated so much poeple scanlation some new manga I could not have ^^ *loves you Sakura and crisis!!*
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
Bookmarks